Friday 6 May 2011

THE COUNT.....THE RESULT

I arrived at the counting centre at a quarter past ten and was followed into the hall by Kevin, the Conservative candidate from the neighbouring ward. It was Kevin's first time as a candidate and it took me back to 2009 where I was in a similar position in the County elections. The morning was just being used for ballot box verification (which I assume means checking that the number of ballot papers in the box equals the number issued). Also all the referendum ballot papers were being sorted, but not counted.

There were very few other candidates present so Kevin and I took a long walk down into Stowmarket and had an enjoyable cup of coffee in the outside courtyard of a cafe. Later after a brief look into the counting hall, I went home for lunch.

Arrived back just after two O'clock and the counting had begun. As there were two seats being contested, many ballot papers had two crosses on them. It was therefore quite a complex collation of various combinations to add all the various votes together. Although complex, it was well organised. However because of the complexity, it was very difficult to judge how the votes were stacking up. The count took a long, nervous (for me) 80 minutes. As it progressed I learnt that Kevin had not been successful although he had moved the Conservative votes in his ward up from fourth place to third. But with only two seats up for grabs, he had missed out.

Then came my result. And here it is:
Britt (Conservative) 469
Fairburn (Suffolk Together) 250
Penny (Green) 139
Redbond (LibDem) 502
Touman (LibDem) 296
Whitehead (Conservative) 573
Wilson J (Labour) 251
Wilson T (Labour) 233

I'd come first! And the two seats are split between the Conservatives and the LibDems which I think does accurately reflect the ward's political make-up with the hard-working LibDem deservedly retaining his seat. I've just realised that I got more votes than the combined independent candidates and more votes than the combined Labour candidates. So too did the second placed candidate. I think we can both be proud of that fact.

Overall our council has 21* Conservative councillors out of a total of 40. Gaining my seat therefore takes them past the 50% mark and gives them control. I suppose any Conservative councillor could make the same claim but as a "seat-gainer" I'll happy claim the role. [*Late amendment : the 21 figure should actually be 22 - it was an error on the MSDC website].

I only had a small band of helpers to whom I'm indebted for their support and encouragement. That includes our association secretary, the election agent, my local MP and his assistants/friends, our association President and his wife (my fellow candidate). Also the 10 locals who readily agreed to sign my nomination forms. Last but not least - my wife and young son for their support and help with leaflet distribution.

2 comments:

  1. Great news, well done, and what a good night for the Conservatives with the Lib Dems being found out for the duplicitous way in which they campaign depending upon whether they're in a Labour or Tory area whilst pretending to be principled, and a resounding NO to AV!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bantambabe - thanks! I must admit I like to keep to facts when campaigning but that doesn't necessarily make me "flavour of the month" with absolutely everybody!
    Talking about AV, the last LibDem leaflet I received had their two candidates holding up a large NO sign which took me by surprise. On closer inspection (for those anoraks like me who do that sort of thing) it appears they were saying NO to the local incinerator but I had to smile when I saw the photo.

    ReplyDelete