Friday 3 May 2013

THE RESULT

The day of reckoning - Friday 3rd May, the count day.  Gipping Valley Division was one of five divisions due to start counting from 9.00am with a result anticipated by 10.30am.

I arrived at the smart Trinity Park Conference Centre at about 9.15am with the verification of the ballot papers (ie. number of papers = number issued) already underway.  At this point the ballot papers are clearly visible as they are counted, pre-sorting, and the first impression was a lot of votes for UKIP.

The votes are then separated into individual candidate piles and the three piles for Conservative, UKIP and Lib Dem seemed to be fairly evenly matched.  My heart was in my mouth - could I possibly squeeze through with a tight win?

The answer regrettably was NO.

When every vote had been collated into candidate batches the final result was:-

Lib Dem 713, Conservatives 577, UKIP 537, Labour & Co-op 301, Green 100.  So the County Councillor of twelve years, John Field was returned for another four year term.  And the realisation that all my hard work had been in vain - another second place for me in a County election.

At least with 136 votes separating the first and second place I don't feel the need to beat myself up with 'what could I have done extra?' type questions.  A few extra votes here and there wouldn't have bridged that shortfall.  The un-answered question in my mind though remains - in a straight three way contest of Conservative, Lib Dem and Labour what might the result have been?  But that of course is academic - one must play the hand one is dealt.

At local level the phrase VOTE UKIP get LIB DEM rings true just as VOTE UKIP get LABOUR is the likely result at national level.  When I think to myself that in that conference centre full of people no one else there, and I repeat no one else there, could be more anti-EU than myself, then it becomes incredibly frustrating.

And when one of our local village stores effectively sponsors one of the candidates then I must continue to remember why I prefer to shop at the One Stop store in the village.

Thanks to those that helped out and supported me from the district office - a very small crew but a much appreciated one.  And finally a big thank you to the 576 other people who like me put their X against my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment