Tuesday 26 April 2011

LESS THAN 10 DAYS TO GO NOW!

It seems only a blink of an eye ago that it was St Patrick's Day and still seven weeks to go to the election.  Now we are in the last ten days - where has the time gone?  Virtually every house has now received my first leaflet with the last few to be delivered tomorrow morning.  I've been hampered a bit these last few days by my son's reluctance (ie. obstinate refusal) to come leafleting with me in the hot weather so I've been restricted to the late afternoon and early evening after my wife has got home from work.  Now with the return to school on Wednesday I'll have the freedom to get out more.

However I've now convinced myself that the best time to deliver is when everyone is returning from work or have had their suppers.  I imagine a family sitting in front of their TV when they hear the rattle of the letterbox.  One of them retrieves our leaflet and then the family take turns to read it and then together discuss its merit before resolving to vote Conservative.  Perhaps just in my dreams?

When knocking on doors it has surprised (and depressed) me how many people seem proud to tell us that they don't bother to vote.  One woman said "I've never voted since I was 18 and now I'm 34 and not going to start".  Others are very coy about their voting intentions.  What makes it worthwhile is being greeted on a doorstep with "Good luck!  You've got our vote" whilst being given a smile and the thumbs up. It does happen!

As well as the leafleting and canvassing I've actually spent a considerable amount of time working on my second leaflet for final week distribution.  The concept for this second leaflet has been in my mind now for over two years, ever since my wife responded back in 2009 with "Everyone should be made aware of that" after I had made her aware of "it".  But what is this "It"?  Well, I'm obviously hoping it will give me the edge but I'll wait to reveal what's missing in a few days time!  Suffice to say that working with the basic concept has seen the leaflet go through about 10 draft stages trying to pitch the wording just right.  I'm very excited about it!  I suppose its the accountant in me that likes presenting people with facts and data.

No comments:

Post a Comment